Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A small collection of my favorite running quotes:

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."
Sir Roger Bannister

"There is no time to think about how much I hurt; there is only time to run."
Ben Logsdon

"In the '70's, I was a school teacher and trained at 5AM and 5PM. During wintertime, I never saw the sun."
Tom Fleming (one of the all time great American runners. Won the New York Marathon twice, took second at Boston two times.)

"(Scientific testing) can't determine how the mind will tolerate pain in a race. Sometimes, I say, 'Today I can die.'"
Gelindo Bordin

"Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about."
-PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'."
-Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner

No one knows the fear in a front runner's mind more than me. When you set off at a cracking pace for four or five laps and find that your main rivals are still breathing down your neck, that's when you start to panic.
Ron Clarke

I just run as hard as I can for 20 miles, and then race.
Steve Jones (when asked about his race plan, after he had won the "Chicago Marathon" in the then world's best time)

Learn to run when feeling the pain: then push harder.
William Sigei

No comments: